City of Glendale AZ Solid Waste Management Intern in Glendale, Arizona
The City of Glendale Solid Waste Management Divisionis sponsoring an internship program to help provide on-the-job experience and mentoring to an aspiring professional in the solid waste management discipline.
**NOTE: Rate of pay: $15.00 per hour / Not to exceed $10,000 for the duration of the internship. Internship will begin after November 15, 2017 and will not exceed44 weeks.
Applications will be accepted until a sufficient number have been received.**
This position will perform critical research, analysis and administrative support to the Solid Waste Management Divisionincluding proposedrecycling initiatives and will report to the Solid Waste Management Superintendent.In addition to responsibilities at the City of Glendale, the selected intern must attend and observe a minimum ofthree Arizona Chapter ofSWANA Board Meetings, which are held on abi-monthly basis or other AZ SWANA-sponsored events. The selected intern will also prepare and deliver an industry-relevant presentation at one SWANA event or meeting. A presentation abstract will be submitted to the SWANA Board of Directors for approval.
Selected candidate will be required to submit proof of enrollment and passa background check prior to hire.
- Provide critical research, analysis and administrative support to the Solid Waste Division through the following:
- Identifying efficiency and diversion strategies
- Implementing Council-approved programs
- Researching and developing solid waste innovations methods
- Reviewing and analyzing current internal processes
- Developing core business technology solutions and services
Finding solutions to support operational functions through use of business model assessments or technology integration
Conduct research, statistical studies and analysis specific to the waste diversion to recycle initiatives, including:
- Developing strategies for reducing the amount of waste sent to the landfill
- Increasing the City diversion rate through the enhancement of existing City programs
- Writing reports that reflect diversion achievements by highlighting key performance indicators
- Design studies, conduct surveys, collect data and information, analyze findings, make interpretations and offer recommendations to management
- Support Solid Waste Management with daily projects designed to bridge any found performance gaps or any areas impacted by regulatory changes
- Managing different projects, while ensuring thatoutcomes align with Citywide goals and established divisional objectives
Minimum Qualifications & Special Requirements:
- Must be enrolled in a bachelor degree program leading to a career inwaste management, sustainability or recycling and have an interest in solid waste management.
- Must have a 3.0 or above GPA
- 2 year minimum college educationcompleted towardBA or relateddegree
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed analytical and organizational skills
- Preference will be given to candidates from in-state educational institutions The successful candidate will have an interest in:
Theories and principals of solid waste management or sustainability Basic methods and practices of solid waste management studies and surveys
Ability to: Use computers and software related to solid waste management programs, counts and surveys Establish and maintain effective working relationships with city employees, outside contractors and the general public Effectively communicate verbally and in writing Analyze situations, develop recommendations, and producewritten and oral reports
Special Requirements: Valid Arizona driver's license Must be available to work15 hours per week
WorkEnvironment: Office setting with field visits. Some exposure to fumes, dust, other particulates and weather extremes. May include walking on or nearresidential streets and exposure topotentially hazardous materials requiring adherence to safety precautions.
Job Title: Solid Waste Management Intern
Closing Date/Time: Sun. 11/12/17 5:00 PM Mountain Time
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Temporary
Location: Field Operations 6210 W. Myrtle Ave., Arizona