Good Shepherd Services Internship & Career Coordinator in New York, New York
Good Shepherd Services is a leading youth development, education and family service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 children, youth and families each year. We give vulnerable youth in New York City the opportunity to take ownership of their future. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
Are you looking to make a difference in a child’s life? Do you love helping people reach their full
potential? Do you want to feel good about the job you are doing? If you answered yes to all these
questions then we want you to join our team! We are looking for a dynamic and
compassionateInternship Coordinator. Operating within the Division of Strategy, Evaluation and
Learning (SEL), in co-operation with Foster Care, Juvenile Justice & Supportive House Division (FJS);
theInternship Coordinatorwill work with participants in Good Shepherd Services’ (GSS’) young adult
workforce program. TheInternship Coordinatorwill plan, organize, and execute all activities for the
In-House Mentored Internships Program, an initiative funded by a grant from the Pinkerton
Foundation. Envisioned as an introduction to careers in the Youth Development field, the In-House
Mentored Internships Program will pair young people in foster care with Internship Mentors who will
provide one-on-one supervision and guidance. Interns will have the opportunity to develop entry-level
employment skills in a supportive environment, and administrative staff will have the opportunity to gain
first-hand experience working with this population. TheInternship Coordinatorwill be responsible
for all activities related to this grant including recruitment of both Interns and Mentors, leading group
discussions and projects, trouble-shooting issues that arise within internships, providing training and
support to Mentors, and assisting participants to transition into, more advanced youth employment
programs within and outside GSS upon completion.
Reports to: Manager, Training & Apprenticeships
Location: 305 7th Avenue, NYC, NY 10001
Hours: Full Time
• Recruit program participants including both Mentors from support staff at GSS headquarters, and Interns from foster care;
• Coordinate Internship pairings according to Interns’ interests;
• Provide training to Mentors in adherence with the train-the-trainer model put forth by Pinkerton and their partner, Workforce Professionals Training Institute (WPTI);
• Provide ongoing support to Mentors;
• Lead Interns in the development and execution of group projects;
• Provide coaching to resolve issues that arise within internships;
• Record program data in case management system;
• Provide follow-up support and guidance to program graduates in transitioning to next steps
• Attend all trainings and meetings associated with the Pinkerton Foundation grant; and
• Other duties, as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 2 years of experience working with disconnected young people, preferably in the role of an Internship or Mentorship Coordinator.
• Experience working in After School programs helpful, but not required
• Familiarity with Motivational Interviewing and Restorative Practices
• Commitment to learning and growth
• Resourceful team player who also works well independently
• Commitment to young people and operating from a strength-based, developmental perspective
All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality assurance activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
Job Title: Internship & Career Coordinator
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/18/2017
Requisition ID: 2434