VMware Intern - VMKernel Core Platforms Userworld Group in Palo Alto, California
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. VMware accelerates customers’ digital transformation journey by enabling enterprises to master a software-defined approach to business and IT. With VMware solutions, organizations are creating exceptional experiences by mobilizing everything, responding faster to opportunities with modern data and apps hosted across hybrid clouds, and safeguarding customer trust with a defense-in-depth approach to cybersecurity.
At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Do you dare to do the stuff you’ve always dreamed about? Dare to explore at http://careers.vmware.com at http://careers.vmware.com/ .
VMKernel team is part of the Core Platforms Group responsible for ESXi operating system and core virtualization infrastructure.
We are looking for Intern engineers interested in operating systems, systems software and distributed systems. Engineers get to design and implement novel operating systems techniques and algorithms for ESXi. They will work with various kernel teams to design and deliver new functionality, mainly targeted for virtualization workloads.
Requirements ( Must Have):
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, or a BS with a strong operating systems background.
• Strong C programming skills.
• Excellent understanding of operating system concepts and kernel components.
• Experience with low-level / kernel-level code development.
• Familiarity with kernel performance analysis and optimization.
• Experience with writing high-quality, well-architected and well-documented code.
• Strong analytical and debugging skills.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
Nice to have:
• Knowledge of x86 assembler, C++, Java, Perl, Python and other programming languages a plus
• Experience with SMP, memory and CPU power management, multi-tasking, device drivers a plus
• Good understanding of modern Intel and AMD x86-based processor architectures a plus
• Familiarity with one or more virtualization platforms a plus.
• Understanding of distributed system concepts a plus.
• Experience in designing and developing kernel level projects
• Experience in leading system software projects
• Experience in developing modular and extensible code.
We are a team that works on some very complex and interesting technologies that are critical to VMware’s ability to transform our customers’ datacenters to virtual infrastructure clouds. Come join us in this exciting ride as we tackle some unique and complex problems through VMware innovations. You will thrive in VMware's unique work environment where the emphasis is on excellence, innovation, openness, collaboration and balance!
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.