University of Kansas ***INTERNAL ONLY*** Associate Dean /& Associate or Full Professor in Lawrence, Kansas
* INTERNAL ONLY *
This search is for an Associate Dean for Administrative Affairs (AA) in the College. The Associate Dean’s position holds a 0.75 FTE administrative appointment in the College and a 0.25 FTE faculty appointment. The Associate Dean for AA works in concert with the Dean on all matters administrative, including searches, hires, leaves, retentions, promotions, tenure decisions, sabbaticals, external reviews, college policies and procedures, and other duties as assigned.
Length and Type of Appointment: The Associate Dean is appointed by and reports to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. This appointment serves at the pleasure of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Term of service is for 5 years, through June 30, 2023.
The Associate Dean will hold a 0.75 FTE-administrative appointment in the College, with primary responsibilities for enhancing research productivity in the College. The remaining 0.25 FTE of the appointment will be in the individual’s academic departmental appointment during the academic year.
0.75 FTE Associate Dean Duties:
25% Searches, Hires, and Retentions
Work with the dean and other college staff in reviewing all hiring requests
Work with staff, SSC, and HRM to prepare and process all offer letters for faculty and staff
Work with units and chairs as they conduct searches
Work with dean on retentions of faculty and staff
Meet with all faculty candidates during on-campus interviews
Support and collaborate with the Dean on all aspects of P&T;, PTTR, and PtR
Review and approve all promotion and tenure external letter writers recommended by units
15% Policies and Procedures
Maintain, update, and create new college procedures and policies in collaboration with the Dean and other staff
Answer inquiries related to college policies and procedures
Work with college units as they write and update their bylaws, procedures, and policies.
10% Faculty and Staff Development
- Provide support and didactic experiences for faculty in staff to support their successful progression and well-being in the College
5% Sabbatical Leaves
- Serve as the liaison for the College Committee on Sabbatical Leaves
5% External Reviews
- Coordinate, initiate, and partner with the Dean on departmental and center/program external reviews
5% Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
(.25 FTE) Faculty Duties:
Teach one regularly assigned course per year.
Other course releases earned or funded through external sources should be considered in determining the number of courses needed to meet the teaching requirement.
Advise students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings and research.
Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
Serve on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
- Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis
- Provide general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, the state, and to the profession.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience, goals, visions, and educational experiences in letter of application and (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in curriculum vitae.
Applicant for the position must have: 1. A record of excellence in scholarship and a commitment to a liberal education; 2. A tenured faculty appointment in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (with the position open to those holding the rank of professor or associate professor, but with preference for the former); 3. Demonstrated capacity for leadership in a comprehensive university; 4. Demonstrated evidence of sensitivity and commitment to faculty and staff; and, to student concerns and interests 5. Demonstrated expertise in student, staff and faculty development.
- Demonstrated administrative and budgetary experience based in leading a unit and holding primary responsibility for its activities and execution (e.g., chair/director of a program, center, institute, department, or school);
- Demonstrated leadership experience in departmental, College, or University activities dealing with academic and administrative matters.
Contact Information to Applicants
Stuart Day Provost Office firstname.lastname@example.org 785 864 6706
Additional Candidate Instruction
* INTERNAL ONLY * For a complete announcement and to apply online, go to: https://employment.ku.edu. A complete online application includes the following materials: 1. a cover letter that outlines one’s goals, ideas, and priorities for serving as an AD in administrative affairs in the College and 2. an updated curriculum vitae.
Only complete applications will be considered. Initial review of applications will begin on May 1, 2018, and will continue as long as needed to identify a qualified pool.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policiesprocedures/categorydetails/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or email@example.com for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY
Advertised Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
Application Review Begins: 01-May-2018
Work Location: Lawrence
Employee Class: F-Faculty
Conditions of Employment: Serve at the Pleasure
Anticipated Start Date: 01-Jul-2018
Position Number: 00208472