University of Kansas Student Assistant - Law Intern in Lawrence, Kansas
There are 2 part-time positions open for hire. Each position will work 15-20 hours a week. Hours will fall during normal business hours with some optional weeknight and Saturday hours available. The work location is the business office of the KU School of Law Medical-Legal Partnership (“KU MLP”) on the KU Medical Center main campus in Kansas City, Kansas. This position reports to the managing attorney.
The Law Intern conducts initial applicant intake interviews, manages communications with healthcare partners, applicants, and clients, works directly with peers working as student externs, and regularly inputs data into client management database, all while ensuring applicant and client confidentiality.
Initial point of contact - for medical partners and applicants during intake process. Foster mutual respect and confidence in the MLP while conducting initial interviews and information gathering working directly with a diverse community of applicants, clients, and referring medical partners. (50%)
Client management database - ensure every point of contact (correspondence, voicemail, meeting) is accurately entered in database. Organize and maintain electronic and paper files. Proofread, format, and prepare final documents for attorney review and signature. (20%)
Reception and Phones - answer phones, handle routine mail, and provide excellent customer service. (20%)
Other duties and special projects - as assigned. (10%)
- Current enrollment in the University of Kansas.
- Exceptional attention to detail while working in a high-volume, fast-past office setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team serving a very diverse client population.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills using Microsoft Office suite.
- Prior work experience in a medical practice setting or legal practice setting.
- Clear understanding of and dedication to client confidentiality and the rules of professional ethics in the practice of law.
- Fluency in Spanish, Arabic, Maay Maay, or Nepali.
Contact Information to Applicants
Lindsey Collins email@example.com No calls please.
Additional Candidate Instruction
- Applicants are required to attach a resume and cover letter expressing interest in the position.
- Deadline to Apply is midnight on March 30, 2018.
- One position will start, immediately; one position will start on May 1, 2018.
During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments).
15-20 hours per week
Advertised Salary Range: $20.00/hour
Application Review Begins: 31-Mar-2018
Work Location: Kansas City, KS
FTE: 0.375 - 0.5
Anticipated Start Date: 02-Apr-2018