Land O' Lakes Crop Scout Intern - North Central Nebraska in Nebraska
Summary: Taking place at a local agriculture retailer, crop scout interns are given an opportunity to connect classroom agronomic knowledge to the field first-hand. Throughout the summer, you will learn to identify weeds, diseases, and insects affecting crop growth and development. You will gain experience testing soil and plant nutrients, and analyze reports used to make crop input recommendations with an experienced agronomist. You will complete miscellaneous operations work and provide customer service to growers. Although agronomy knowledge is beneficial, no previous work experience is required. This internship will provide a hands-on from the ground up experience to give the student a basic knowledge of the logistics and internal workings of an agronomy facility. You will interact with growers on a daily basis and get your hands dirty at the same time.
A pre-employment drug and alcohol test is a prerequisite.
Internships are offered in a variety of locations through our member cooperatives, retailers, and independent owner system. Interns will be provided training through WinField United and the working location is dependent on those of our member owners.
Position Status: Non-exempt, temporary Position Duration: May - August/(flexible start and end dates)/
* Assisting grower customers on the yard loading CPP, liquid fertilizer, and seed as well as filling out load sheets accurately.
* Counting inventory accurately at mid-year.
* Help perform maintenance on mini bulks and pumps.
* Field scouting, soil sampling, and tissue sampling will also be included, however will not be the main focus of the internship.
* Inspect assigned grower fields to identify weeds, insects, diseases, pest and crop population counts, crop and weed staging and other crop diagnostic issues. * Utilize crop scouting software/weekly reports to document and share observations with partnered field agronomist. * Keep current on agronomic products, trends, and precision ag technologies. * Provide support for operations and warehouse staff as needed. * Other duties as assigned.
* Pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, preferably in an agricultural related major or program but not required. * Attentive to detail and able to work without direct supervision. * Frequently move, lift and carry boxes, tubs, and tools weighing 50-60 lbs., access and utilize farm equipment, and move or traverse on uneven ground. * Ability to work extended hours during peak busy seasons. * Possess a valid, unrestricted driver’s license and have and maintain a satisfactory driving record. * Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.
Professional Skills: * Excellent communication, writing and critical thinking skills. * Manage time and effectively prioritize and implement projects and general work tasks. * Give and receive feedback, work collaboratively, exhibit effective social and interpersonal communication skills. * Resourceful and innovative in finding solutions to problems.
Primary Location: US-Nebraska
Job Function: Agronomy
Organization: Co-Op Talent Management
Job Type: Intern
Job Posting: Dec 22, 2017
Contact Name - External: Ag Business Recruitment
Contact Email - External: AgBusinessRecruitment@landolakes.com
Req ID: 170384